Big Lagoon County Park has a very unique forest, and I was very happy to take Humboldt to explore it last month. We camped there on the lagoon with the dogs and enjoyed two sunny birthdays (mine and Fred's)! Instead of cake, we had s'mores. Here's a photo of Bo with a fern. The forest floor there is mossy and soft and bouncy. There is little undergrowth, so it's the perfect place for hide and seek. Even though it's summer, there were lots of neat mushrooms, too. Below is my artsy photo of the forest. I've read that the forest was potato farmland a century or so ago, so I guess that's what makes the floor so special. The last photo is from the beach at Big Lagoon. The sound of the ocean's big surf there was such a treat, especially at night.
Rail Rider! Here's a photo from this summer's Train Day - a fundraiser for the Heritage folks. Humboldt and I rode the Samoa Speeder (the closest thing our county has to a passenger railroad) and spent some time checking out the Roundhouse and trains in Samoa. One gentleman built this bike for the rails and let people ride it. Apparently they are popular in Tasmania, but I have not as yet googled that.
For Labor Day, we took Humboldt fishing. First we tried near the mouth of the Mad River, but it was too cold! So we went inland a bit, and had fun in the sun; no fish though. The next day we drove inland near Orleans for some real heat.
Here's Fred in his new ride, ready to turn on the AC. It was mid-90s at the Salmon River where we had a picnic at the Blue Hole (above). We also looked carefully for gold, but found frogs and tadpoles.
Luckily, Humboldt has never complained of car sickness - a blessing with all the curvy roads here that follow the twisty rivers. By the way, I took the title for this post from a really great book I just read, Last Days Of Summer, by Steve Kluger (1998). It's a novel about baseball and boys and New York in the 1940's - I was so sorry when it ended.





